Ever since restaurants have been shut down the past two months, I have been feeling like a Masterchef in the kitchen, trying a bunch of new recipes. Most of them turn out very average, but the occasional one comes out absolutely scrumptious.
If you are feeling inspired to cook, I wanted to share one of my favorite Spanish food recipes with you. Don’t worry, it’s nothing crazy–we will skip the paella and croquetas recipes. I will be teaching you how to make Tortilla Española, which is a Spanish omelette. I hate that translation though, because if you expect an omelette by the end of the recipe, you will be greatly disappointed. It is like a pillowy cloud of eggs, potatoes, and onions.
Spanish tortilla is super versatile. It can be eaten hot or cold, for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It is honestly the bomb, and I am so excited to share it with you.
P.S. This recipe is straight from a Spanish grandma, so it has to be good… trust me.
Prep time: 30ish minutes (less if you’re good at chopping)
Cook time: 30ish minutes (forreal this time)
Serving size: 4 people, or 1 VERY hungry person
- 2 lbs of potatoes
- 1 large white onion
- 8 eggs
- EVOO (shout out to my Rachel Ray fans!)
- Peel and rinse potatoes and slice them into thin slices. They should look like thin discs when you’re finished slicing.
- Pat the excess water off of the potato slices and put them into a bowl with a couple of pinches of salt (don’t get crazy).
- Slice the onions as thinly as possible.
- Heat a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil in a pan on medium and fry the onions until they are caramelized and delicious.
- Remove the onions from the pan and drain the excess oil.
- Now add a more generous layer of EVOO into the pan and add the potato slices. Make sure the oil is hot before you add it, and make sure the potatoes are completely covered by the oil. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently so the potatoes don’t burn. Don’t be alarmed if they start to break apart… that means the magic is happening.
- While that is going on, beat all 8 of the eggs in a large bowl. You can add salt and pepper to the eggs at this step.
- After about 15 minutes, add the onions to the potatoes and mix.
- Here comes the fun part! Remove the potato and onion mixture with that giant flat spoon with holes in it to drain the excess oil.
- You are going to put the potatoes and onions in the bowl with the eggs and stir. Let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Drain the oil from the pan you used to cook the onions and potatoes, and pour the egg mixture. Cook on one side for about 8 minutes on medium-low heat. Don’t stir too much, because you don’t want to disrupt the structure.
- Use a plate to help you flip the tortilla and cook the other side for about 6 minutes or until its golden.
- You are now ready to eat your tortilla!
Another funky tip is adding vegetables, meat, or cheese into the tortilla. Some of the most popular ones are spinach, ham, or cheese.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe. I highly recommend it. Also, I won’t be offended if you decide to make it and prefer using Youtube instead of my recipe.
I hope you all are doing well, and I wish you a great week.